How to sell your property in Autumn – our 8 Top Tips
Everyone is back to work after their summer holidays, the kids are back at school, the nights are drawing in, and property hunters are on the lookout for a new home to brighten up their winter nights, just in time for the New Year.
Therefore, Autumn is a great time of year, if you are thinking of selling your property, to put it on the market. To make the most of this time of year, we’ve put together some of our Team Wishart Top Tips to help get your property ready to sell! We hope these help!
1. It might not be Spring Cleaning season, but a deep clean will make the world of difference when viewers come to look around your property. This is number 1 priority all year round, so we always put it at the top of our to-do list. Making your property as spotless as possible before viewings enables viewers to see the potential for making the space their own.
2. Declutter…you might prefer a “lived in” look for your home, however, viewers will prefer to see the property for what they will make it, so pop the unused wellies and DVD collection in the under stairs cupboard for the time being!
3. Cosy is the optimum word for Autumn…and Winter! Take the chill off the air by turning the heating on before viewings, throw some fluffy blankets on your sofa, add candles to your mantelpiece and maybe even invest in a few additional ornaments in deep colours or bronze, gold tones, to cosy up even the airiest of rooms. Remember, Spring/Summer interiors call for light and bright tones and Autumn/Winter call for warmer, more comforting hues.
4. Make viewers feel “at home”. Buying a property is as much about the emotional feeling they get when stepping foot into the property as it is about ticking off their checklist of property “must haves”! Baking some fresh bread or a cake, putting a fire on and using the right lighting can have a huge impact on the emotional connection for viewers.
5. If possible, arrange viewings during the day to make the most of the sunlight. You can still make your rooms cosy during the day by lighting a fire or using lamps to accentuate room decorations. In September it will start to become dark by 6pm and into October and November it will be as early as 4pm so try and get viewings in before these times! As property experts, we will always provide fully guided viewings so if you work 9-5pm we can accompany the viewings on your behalf.
6. Don’t overlook the garden or any outdoor space you may have. Cut the grass and plant some flowering plants such as dahlias, begonias and cyclamen to brighten it up. Kerb appeal is important at all times of the year!
7. Damp air at this time of year can become a problem, especially if you dry washing inside. Investing in a dehumidifier can make the world of difference, or making sure you ventilate the property as much as possible during the day when the sun is out. No one wants to buy a fusty house!
8. Clean out your gutters and drainpipes. The last thing you or a viewer wants is a dripping drainpipe or overflowing gutter when they approach the property. Making sure these have been cleaned out will also help to avoid any additional dampness from making its way into the house.
We hope these tips have been helpful, but for any more advice or general queries about buying or selling properties, please don’t hesitate to give us a call on 01904 404558